Previous slide |
Next slide |
Back to first slide |
View graphic version
History and Overview
In 1992, the Intermodal Surface Transportation Efficiency Act (ISTEA) created BTS as a federal statistical agency to:
- administer data collection, analysis, and reporting; and
- ensure the most cost-effective use of transportation-monitoring resources.
BTS is one of the 13 statutorily recognized Federal Statistical Agencies. As such, BTS
- is policy-neutral objective broker for the facts,
- does independent data collection and analysis, but assists all the other modes to be more effective and efficient,
- sets standards for transportation data, and
- has special statutory protections for the confidentiality of data.