- Road accidents on sharp increase
- Traffic Police have a reputation for corruption/poor attitude
- Traffic management ability limited -Limited resources
To promote Road Safety and develop Traffic Management ability to change
the behaviour and the image of traffic police and to increase the technical
resources available to them to carry out their function.
- To develop a Traffic Strategy that will bring up to date traffic
law enforcement in the country.
- To provide training to traffic officers that will result in a friendly,
courteous and firm traffic law enforcement.
- Feasibility study into the use of civilian traffic wardens.
- To introduce road safety into primary and secondary schools.
- To reduce accidents on roads.
- To improve ability to provide First Aid treatment of accident victims.
- To improve on the traffic police response speed and efficiency, to
increase mobility of traffic teams.
- To acquire modern equipment; such as speed traps, alcohol testing
equipment, tapes, etc.
Source: Zambia Police Service, 1995