As a Federal statistical agency, the Bureau of Transportation Statistics (BTS) has its own standards
and participates with other Federal agencies to improve statistical information quality. Under
an array of guidelines, other Federal agencies collect, compile, and disseminate statistical data.
The following are key guidelines and documents providing guidance on the quality of statistical
- BTS Statistical Standards Manualcovers all aspects of RITA/BTS statistical practice: (http://www.bts.gov/programs/statistical_policy_and_research/bts_statistical_standards_manual/index.html).
- Guide to Good Statistical Practice in the Transportation Fieldincludes the USDOT guidelines
for statistical information and additional BTS guidance for good statistical practice:
- Guidelines for Ensuring and Maximizing the Quality, Objectivity, Utility, and Integrity of
Information Disseminated by Federal AgenciesFederal Register Notice, Vol. 67, No. 36, Feb.
22, 2002, Part IX Office of Management and Budget: (http://www.bts.gov/publications/federal_register_notice/pdf/volume_67_number_36.pdf).
- Guidelines of the Federal Statistical Organizationsan approach to guidelines for statistical
information adopted by the Interagency Council on Statistical Policy (ICSP): (http://www.bts.gov/publications/federal_register_notice/pdf/volume_67_number_107.pdf).
- USDOT Report for Implementing OMB's Information Dissemination Quality Guidelines is
the USDOT implementation of the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) information
quality guidelines and correction procedures. The USDOT guidelines permit its agencies to
issue their own guidelines, if these guidelines are consistent with the overall USDOT guidelines:
- Standards and Guidelines for Statistical Surveysadopted September 2006: (http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/inforeg/statpolicy/standards_stat_surveys.pdf).
- Title VConfidential Information Protection and Statistical Efficiency Act of 2002effective
Dec. 17, 2002: (http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/omb/assets/omb/inforeg/cipsea/cipsea_statute.pdf).
- OMB released Statistical Policy Directive No. 4: Release and Dissemination of Statistical Products
Produced by Federal Statistical Agencies on Mar. 7, 2008: (http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/omb/assets/omb/fedreg/2008/030708_directive-4.pdf).