Slide 8 of 9
REVIEW EACH DATA PRODUCT WITH A DESCRIPION.
1) The Brochure explains the methods used by federal agencies to protect data and also some methods for releasing data. It also explains what is a data license, What is a certificate of confidentiality, sworn agents Why are they used, which agencies use them.
2) The Checklist on Disclosure Potential of Proposed Data Releases. This has 6 sections.
Microdata files, tablular data from individuals, tabular data from businesses, and selected references. Walks the reader through a series of questions to be answered, and depending upon the answers, serves as an objective method for evaluating a proposed data release. It helps identify identifiers on a file and what methods you could use to mask the sensitive data. Helps the reader focus on sampling methodology and design as potential areas for inadvertent data disclosure.
3) Idenfiability in Microdata files what is an identifier
4) Restricted Access Procedures The confidentiality of data can also be protected by setting conditions upon which authorized persons can use sensitive data. What goes on inside these RDCs. What can a researcher do at an RDC and what they cannot do. What can be taken out of an RDC. How does one apply and obtain access.
5) Panel on Disclosure Review Boards How they work, what is the decision process they engage in, what is common and what is different across agencies.6) Links to other sources ASA Privacy and Confidentiality Committee website