The Maritime Administration (MARAD) contracted with the Bureau of Transportation
Statistics (BTS) to conduct a follow-up to the 2001 Mariner Survey. The
focus of the follow-up survey was to provide MARAD with:
- general information on mariners qualified for deep sea service;
- qualifications held by Mariners by license/documentation;
- current status of meeting Standards of Training, Certification, and Watchkeeping
(STCW) 95 qualifications;
- recency of sailing experience; and
- willingness to sail in an emergency.
The information provided by the survey will allow MARAD to:
- clarify the issues regarding the existence of mariner shortages,
- assess mobilization readiness,
- tailor training and recruitment programs to specific shortage areas, and
- justify resource needs.
The 2002 Mariner Survey was developed with the additional goal of providing
validation of some findings from the earlier study and offering a more detailed
look at the difficulty of locating mariners.