Figure 2-2 Major U.S. Shipbuilding Facilities Constructing Oceangoing Vessels as of October 2001
Major U.S. Shipbuilding Facilities Constructing Oceangoing Vessels
as of October 2001
1. Bath Iron Works Corp.
2. Electric Boat Corp.
3. Kvaerner Philadelphia Shipyard, Inc.
4. Newport News Shipbuilding
5. Halter Pascagoula
6. Northrup Grumman Ship Systems-Ingalls Operations
7. Northrup Grumman Ship Systems-Avondale Operations
8. National Steel Shipbuilding Co.
SOURCE: U.S. Department of Transportation, Maritime Administration, Office of Shipbuilding and Marine Technology, October 2001.
- The U.S. shipbuilding industry has been affected by mergers and shipyard closings in recent years.
- The major U.S. shipbuilding yards employ approximately 45 percent of the U.S. shipbuilding and repair industry's total workforce.