Information Quality Guidelines for Federal Transportation Data
As a Federal statistical agency, the Bureau of Transportation Statistics (BTS) has its own statistical standards and participates with other agencies to improve statistical information quality. Under an array of guidelines, other Federal agencies collect, compile, and disseminate statistical data. The following are key guidelines and documents providing guidance on the quality of statistical information:
- BTS Statistical Standards Manual - covers all aspects of RITA/BTS statistical practice: (http://www.bts.gov/programs/statistical_policy_and_research/bts_statistical_standards_manual/index.html).
- Guide to Good Statistical Practice in the Transportation Field - includes the USDOT guidelines for statistical information and additional BTS guidance for good statistical practice: (http://www.bts.gov/publications/guide_to_good_statistical_practice_in_the_transportation_field/).
- Guidelines for Ensuring and Maximizing the Quality, Objectivity, Utility, and Integrity of Information Disseminated by Federal Agencies - Federal Register Notice, Vol. 67, No. 36, Feb. 22, 2002, Part IX - Office of Management and Budget: (http://www.bts.gov/publications/federal_register_notice/pdf/volume_67_number_36.pdf).
- Guidelines of the Federal Statistical Organizations - an approach to guidelines for statistical information adopted by the Interagency Council on Statistical Policy (ICSP): (http://www.bts.gov/publications/federal_register_notice/pdf/volume_67_number_107.pdf).
- DOT Report for Implementing OMB's Information Dissemination Quality Guidelines - is theUSDOT implementation of the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) information quality guidelines and correction procedures. The USDOT guidelines permit its agencies to issue their own guidelines, if these guidelines are consistent with the overall USDOT guidelines: (http://docketsinfo.dot.gov/ombfinal092502.pdf).
- Standards and Guidelines for Statistical Surveys - adopted September 2006: (http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/inforeg/statpolicy/standards_stat_surveys.pdf).
- Title V - Confidential Information Protection and Statistical Efficiency Act of 2002 - effective Dec.17, 2002: (http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/inforeg/cipsea/cipsea_statute.pdf).
On Mar. 7, 2008, OMB released Statistical Policy Directive No. 4: Release and Dissemination of Statistical Products Produced by Federal Statistical Agencies: (http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/fedreg/2008/030708_directive - 4.pdf)